Monday, May 11, 2009

Forced to Withdraw

"Jesus, knowing that they intended to come and make him king by force, withdrew again to a mountain by himself." John 6:15

Jesus feeds five thousand people after accepting 5 loaves of bread and two fish from a local boy. Everyone there took as much as they needed and there were twelve baskets left for the disciples. Quickly after this miracle, Jesus went to the mountains to spend time with his Father.

I've heard this story over and over again, but this time, verse 15 really stood out. After Jesus fed all those people, he quickly fled, knowing the people would want to crown him as king. He dodged the recognition of "king" even though he was their king and deserved that recognition.

Lesson for me: even if I feel like I deserve recognition for something I do, remember to be humble. Pull myself from the situation before I get prideful. If Jesus didn't think he should be king, then I certainly don't deserve any honor.

2 comments:

Occupied said...

I am reading a daily inspirational and I turned straight to a day that says this:

"Don't let the itch for things or the ear for applause derail you from God-intended design."

I thought it was relevant! Miss you.

Mandy said...

Crazy thing...I was really struggling with that yesterday. I wanted so badly for someone to applaud me yesterday, yet over and over again I kept making mistakes, and it was incredibly discouraging.

So thanks for that!